Did you know…
- Half of the people that seek refuge in our domestic violence shelter are children.
- The average length of stay in shelter is one month.
- One in every four women in the United States will experience severe physical violence at the hands of an intimate partner in her lifetime.
- Every five days, a Virginian is killed because of domestic violence. (Family and Intimate Partner Homicide Virginia: 1999-2007, Office of the Chief Medical Examiner, October, 2009, page 50: “Between the years 1999 and 2007 there were 575 intimate partner homicides.”)
- Domestic violence is a major cause of homelessness for women in the United States.
- In 2008, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention published data collected in 2005 that finds that women experience two million injuries from intimate partner violence each year. Family Violence Prevention Fund
- 15.5 million children in the United States live in families in which partner violence occurred at least once in the past year, and seven million children live in families in which severe partner violence occurred. Family Violence Prevention Fund
- Empowerhouse serves over 2,400 people, on average, each year.
- Area law enforcement agencies serving the Fredericksburg region including Stafford, King George, Caroline, and Spotsylvania, respond to over 6,400 domestic related calls on average, per year.